SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

I need a derby name...

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

On Monday night I officially passed my WFTDA Skills Test and became a card-carrying member of the Sulphur City Steam Rollers.

I am looking forward to sharing a bit more of my derby story after the holidays, but there is an important piece of business at hand... I need a derby name.

Choosing a derby name feels a little bit like choosing names for my kids... I  want it to be just right. So I did a quick poll on instagram and faceboook and got some great feedback... thanks people. Now I need some help  narrowing down the list and making a final decision.

One think I recently learned... every derby name is unique and has to be registered on this international list. A  few of your suggestions were immediately eliminated because they were the same, or similar to, names that are currently registered. 

HELP ME CHOOSE MY DERBY NAME.
Leave comments, suggestions, feedback in the comment section below. Looking forward to kicking off a new year with a derby name. Thanks for your help! 

Suggested but already registered  
Blizzard
Dizzy Lizzy
Elizabeaten
Lightening Liz
Tex
Texas
Wreckliz N Dangerous
Whizzy Lizzy

Viable derby names
Badazz Lizzie
Chariot on fire (more on this below)
Elizinator
Dlizinator
Fastgame
Fearliz 
Fitz (maiden name Fitzgerald)
Leaping Lizzard
Limitliz
Liz and let die
Liz-bon Express
Liz the Leveler
Merciliz
Merciliz Badgame
Mrs. Badgame
Storm the Gates of Hell (more on this below)
Yankee Mama

Two names that I have been toying with... but probably not "derby" enough

Chariot on fire  
Chariots is defined as a an ancient horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle used in war, races, and processions. For me it would referencing the earthy possession most responsible for my sanity as a mother - the Chariot double jogger (recently bought out by THULE). A gift that a very wise friend coordinated and bought (with a bunch of other wonderful ladies) when Maggie was born. It had a good run with my big kids and is on round two with Jude and Jonah. I hate to be over-dramatic about material possessions... but this is one item I would hate to live without. It made "adventure with kids" a more feasible reality - especially when my first two were young. Lastly, this name references a classic 1980's film that I think has a really great storyline.

Storm the Gates of Hell
Shortly after I met and fell in love with my husband... I met and fell in love with his dog. She was a springer spaniel named Storm... (Storm the Gates of Hell). As it turns out, choosing a derby names is not unsimilar to choosing a unique pedigree puppy name. A pedigree name must consist of more than one word but not exceed 24 letters - Storm was not sufficient - but "Storm the Gates of Hell" fit the bill. In reality, I don't know that there has ever been a dog less likely to "storm the gates of hell". But "Storm" suited her melancholy personality perfectly.

Thanks for all the excitement and encouragement. Derby has been on my bucket list for a long time - thankful for the opportunity to get knocked around a bit with the Sulphur City Steam Rollers.


8 comments :

  1. My favorite is first Mrs. Badgame and then Merciliz Badgame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis... miss over here on the other side of the world.

      Delete
  2. I love that you're doing this! Did I ever tell you you're my hero. :) Ok, on to the task at hand. My first reaction to Dlizinator Fastgame was pure joy, but now that I've heard your two suggested name I could see you as Chariot on Fire. On might need to be your middle name though, so it would have to be Chariot On Fire. If any roller derby epiphanies come to me, I will share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna! How are things in Colorado? Physical Therapy school going well. Miss you and our fun little residency crew. You are welcome at our house anytime. New Zealand is a great place to visit.

      Delete
  3. This? Is Awesome! I love that it was on your bucket list and you are doing it. I love even more that, while I don't think I would've ever guessed you'd do this (not that I know you that well), now that I know you are, I totally get it! So, here are my pics for name; Fitz - short and sweet, Mrs. Badgame (it just says it all), and Elizinator (that's just awesome!) ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Fitz! Crazy you are doing and it's so badass too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I deferred PT school for a year. Had a miscarriage in May and just wasn't up for starting. :( So, all the life changes (moving and renting our house out, leaving our friends, Joe finding a new job, etc) are all to come in the next few months! I'm trying not to think too far ahead! I would love to come out and see you guys though...maybe I can make that happen or I could try to do a rotation there. Keep doinv what you're doing! You always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love it. Fitz or Fitzmeister are my pics. And you need a tat. Give 'em hell.

    ReplyDelete