SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

My baby is a meme

Monday, August 11, 2014

I wasn't familiar with the term until my youngest child became one. According to Wikipedia a meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture." A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme.

Shortly before our move to New Zealand, I was laying on the floor (exhausted and in denial about the list of things I still needed to do). At just the right moment, I pulled the point-and-shoot camera out of my back pocket and captured an epic series of shots.


One particular photo garnered a bit of internet attention. Within a few weeks of posting it on facebook, I had friends sending me links from all around the world. My little guys face was accompanied by a variety of different captions and disseminated on the world wide web.



It is a REALLY funny picture and I am happy to share it with the world wide community...
But, if I were going to use my child's photo to promote "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."  I would probably choose something with a bit more substance than "Fake Boob". For today (August 12, 2014) I might choose to address the fact that there is currently a genocide happening in Iraq. Genocide is sort of a big deal.


I don't have a solution. But if my baby is going to be a conduit for cultural change... then I can at least give him something important to say. Take a minute to watch this video and perhaps say a prayer for people living in chaos.



1 comment :

  1. omg, your kids is very cute and funny, i cannot take my eyes off him :)))

    ReplyDelete