SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

I have a derby name...

Friday, May 16, 2014

Three weeks ago when we were on the South Island, I got a facebook message that said "the uniforms are getting printed, time to finalize your derby name". I had been on the fence since December when I passed my WFTDA skills test.

There were lots of great name suggestions, but I couldn't get away from the idea of fear... it has been a powerful presence in my life (in some seasons more than others) and declaring the opposite, in the form of a derby name felt like the right move. I also like the idea of resurrecting my maiden name... because I was a little bit of a fireball back in the day, and that fits with my derby persona.

Moving to New Zealand was easily the scariest decision of my life... it also ended up being the thing that got my heart beating again. So right now, I am sort of a big fan of overcoming fear and doing scary stuff.

I have always been pretty emotional when it comes to the topic of courage. I heard the song Live Forever by Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors for the first time in 2009 (video below). It is my favorite. There are only a few times since then, that I can remember NOT crying when I got to the bridge - "Take courage when the road is long. Don't ever forget your never alone."

One of my counselors told me that it is important to pay attention to things that make you cry... I would like to take some creative liberty and add "and the things that make you want to get a tatoo."

I have never wanted a tatoo... until I went to Ponui Island and saw this on the right bicep of new friend. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9. No plans to get inked up any time soon... but I was tempted and inspired.

Derby in itself is an ongoing act of courage for me. It is just a little bit outside of my "middle age, mom of four" comfort zone. Every time I lace up my skates I feel strong and brave... and I love that.

So, without further ado... number six skating for the Sulphur City Steamrollers... Fearless Fitz.


3 comments :

  1. You are so brave and fearless. Thanks for sharing your story and the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!!!!! Great choice. Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to inspire me! Keep living fearlessly!

    ReplyDelete