SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

Noteworthy - Wonder Women

Friday, May 9, 2014

Over the past eight years I have read quite a few books in the "motherhood genre". A lot of them have been a bit underwhelming and left me hungry for a better conversation on the topic. Wonder Women is different. 

"Tone" is a big deal for me. If an author seems to be selling golden tickets or pushing a particular philosophy I am pretty quick to close their book and add their name on my mental "do not read" list... because I don't like simple solutions for complex issues (especially when they are laced with hints of judgment). It is probably also because I am stubborn and prideful and don't like to be told what to do - a subject for another post.

Kate Harris first caught my attention with an essay title Motherhood as Vocation. I loved her "tone". As a young "stay-at-home" mom struggling with questions of identity and calling this essay offered affirmation on a deep and profound level.
 

The subtitle for Wonder Women is "Navigating the Challenges of Motherhood, Career, and Identity"... and it does just that. I would take a navigation tool over a instruction manual any day. There are just too many factors in the motherhood equation.    

This book bolstered my confidence and encouraged me to push on towards the things that I am "pretty sure" God has made me to do.
Deep down most of us know what is best for ourselves and our families... but there are LOUD voices these days and it can be hard to stay the course.

Happy Mother's day
- go get this book. It offers a little taste of freedom and grace within the (often divisive) arena of motherhood. It is also a really quick read... a gift in itself, considering it's predominantly overtired audience. You can watch a quick trailer here.
Read more about "noteworthy"

No comments :

Post a Comment