SLIDER

  • "/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • " />
  • "/>"/>" />
  • "/>"/>" />

Back home with mom & dad

Thursday, February 26, 2015


Right now we are back in South Carolina, noting the moments with family. My dad's "health" has taken a  turn for the worse and we are adjusting our expectations and priorities daily.

In December, when we made the decision to move back, it wasn't yet necessary. Dad was doing relatively well and we had reason to hope that it would be that way for a while. But I had a sense that it was time to make the move. We arrived back in the States at exactly the right time. My mom suddenly needed a lot more help than any of us could have anticipated.

His personalty, long term memory, and general good attitude remains beautifully intact. I know that it will get harder, but being here (for all of this) is a gift that I wouldn't trade for the world.

We have a staggering amount of uncertainty in our life right now, but God has provided in ways that we never could have expected. Because of my dad's declining condition, we have decided to find a place much closer to my parents (rather than in Greenville - an hour away). A couple just offered us a four bedroom, fully furnished country home on ten acres of land in a small town fifteen minutes from my parents. Forests to explore, creeks to traverse, hills to climb, animals to trap, forts to be made. It is idyllic - beyond anything I could have hoped for. Ben plans to travel for work and I plan to homeschool... at least until things change and we come up with a different plan. There is certainly a lot of transition going on in our lives. Thanks for your continued prayers, notes, encouragement and support.

I am going to keep writing about our last few weeks in Rotorua (maybe forever)... because it is cathartic and I prefer writing about nice things makes me happy. New Zealand, we love you and miss you already. Thanks for teaching us how to slow down and enjoy life. We will meet again.

5 comments :

  1. Great news on the house, sounds PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I'm sad to hear that your dad is struggling right now, you arrived home at the perfect time by the sound of things. You were very wise and brave to make the decision to head back to the USA, and I'm glad that you have found a lovely home where it sounds like you'll have lots of adventures.

    We miss you LOTS! We're coming up to team trials this weekend and it feels like you should be here with us. It's going to be hard work as we set some fitness benchmarks for ourselves, prove our knowledge of the game with a theory test and of course get tested on scrimmage skills. From a personal angle, I had a cortisone injection for my ankle earlier this week which hasn't had the affect I'd hoped for. It throbs after 30 minutes slow walking so I'm dreading to think how it will feel through a beep test. But, we can only try our best right? Will let you know how we go.

    Lots of love to you and Ben and the kids, and of course your mum and dad from your roller derby family here in New Zealand xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missing you guys like crazy. Can hardly stand that I missed team trials. Sounds like they went well. Looking forward to seeing you over here on this side of the world.

      Delete
  3. Blessings! You are all in my prayers! May God continue to provide and may you continue to receive. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete